Recently, we received a call from a customer who is discontinuing service with QuickFix because she bought a new computer that promises no viruses can ever infect it. It is designed for ease of use, with big buttons and remote tech support.
Have you ever heard an advertisement for this or something similar? Well, let me tell you! This is something that is becoming more prevalent and scary!
The devil is in the details for this particular company:
- If you visit the frequently asked section on their website, you will find that the computer, which looks like a KIOSK to me, is $1099 with only 32 GB of storage and 2 GB of memory. This is a computer with specs so low we call them dumpster-bait. We won’t even give them to needy students.
- Linux does not currently have viruses because most people use Windows. You won’t be able to run your Windows software either.
- Tech support is included for 30 days then it costs $9.95 a month.
- You don’t get backups of your machine. If it dies, hope it dies within the 1-year warranty.
- The price was the same 5 years ago if you check the way-back machine. Hmm….
- A simple check of user reviews on Amazon says it all. The 5 most recent reviewers call it “Junk.”
This is just one example of the many customers who reach out to us about scams and help. If you think it is too good of a deal to be true, reach out to QuickFix and we can advise you. We would be happy to help keep you, your data, and your money safe!